Sorry folks but we're going to call the Tour de Kirche, the race scheduled to run March 16. With snow forecast from 4 AM, almost definitely falling by 7 AM, and then tapering until 12 noon, we feel that the conditions would be simply too risky to hold a race.
My nightmare scenario is someone in the last lap takes a wide line somewhere, ends up on some slippery stuff, and takes out a bunch of racers.
In rain, it's slippery everywhere, but it's relatively consistent with no ice. With temperatures near freezing it's different - bits and pieces of the road rideable and other bits and pieces potentially unrideable, I simply can't justify the risk. Yeah, I'd ride on a day like that on my own (and I have, or in small groups) but in a racing field with the unknown variables of rider handling, the red mist of competition, and the exponentially higher risk of a mechanical?
We'll be refunding all pre-registered racers or transferring their registration to a later race (your choice, and don't feel bad for asking for a refund).
Having done this, the weather will probably be really nice on Sunday, 75 degrees and sunny. But based on the information I have right here, right now, we're calling the race. In order to let those folks know that travel from far, far away (New Hampshire among other northern places) we wanted to make the call as early as possible.
Remember we do NOT race March 23 (Easter Sunday) so the next race will be March 30th. If you want to get some racing in on Easter weekend, check out the Plainville Series March 22. I should be there and maybe I'll see you there.